Welcome to my home base for the April 2015 Dewey’s 24 hour read-a-thon. I have participated in at least 4 previous Dewey read-a-thons and while I wish I could say that I have done a good job of preparing and planning for the event. I have not. It has been a busy few weeks. Last week, my dad was very ill and in the hospital which took me away from home every day. This week, my manager has been visiting from Seattle which means I have been entertaining. Needless to say, I am very unprepared. Good thing I have decent at winging it.
I have yet to have an event where something has not come up where I need to leave for a while. We will be grocery shopping in the morning before the read-a-thon starts so hopefully that means I will have snacks and drinks for the day. Things always sound good when I shop but not so much later so who know. I should be good to read for the majority of the day until I have dinner plans at about 6:30. Always have to be sure to have balance and my friends are important so I will be going to dinner.After that, I will be back and we shall see how late I last.
I am hosting the hour 18 mini challenge so be sure to come back for that. Additionally, like in previous years I will be cheering with Mr. Popper’s team. Very Very Very appropriate since I LOVE penguins! I think that someone planned that one for me. I will be cheering for at least 10 minutes of each hour I read. It is actually one of my favorite parts of the read-a-thon.
All of my updates will be in this post, which will be pinned to the top of my blog for the day. Some of the mini challenges may make it here or their own post depending on how much space they may take. I have a new excel tracking sheet I will be trying out so look for that.
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
I am reading today from Michigan in the United States. I am about a hour north of Detroit in a small town community. I was raised in this town swore I would get out of dodge and when push came to shove, I came back there to raise my family. Great school, less stress, and great community!
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Like I said above, no planning here at all this time around. I have a ton of books to be read so I will see what I am in the mood for. I will be finishing The Shadows by JR Ward audio book and I am looking forward to that. I do need to find a new series to listen to though. That is a little tougher.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
I have not been to the grocery store yet so who knows. I’ll let you know if I find anything amazing!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
Hi. My name is Lisa. Like I said above I live in Michigan. I have been married for 15 years and my husband will be doing part of the day reading with me. I have two boys, 14 and 13. My lucky 13 year old is in NYC this week with his band. I really wanted to go on the trip but it didnt work out. Good thing! I would have missed this. I work full time managing a team of web designers for an amazing company that manages auto dealer websites. I love the people I work with and the company! I LOVE Penguins! They are the underdogs in the bird world and I find them adorable!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This time around I am going to try a different strategy for cheering. In the past, I have used the first 10 minutes of each hour I read to cheer. I am going to change this up and try some different things. Maybe first 5 minutes and 5 on the half hour. Or cheer when I am getting bored or cheer when I am getting sleepy!
Looking forward to getting to know you all!
Update 1 – 11:24 AM EST
Update 2 : 4:37 EST
And I got way distracted and tired
End of Event Meme:
- Which hour was most daunting for you? Well after 6:30 EST I got off track. There is always next time
- Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Not this time other than audiobooks worked well.
- Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope great as always
- What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Cheering sheets worked well
- How many books did you read?2
- What were the names of the books you read? See above
- Which book did you enjoy most? The Liar
- Which did you enjoy least? None
- If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Have fun!
- How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I will again as reader and cheerleader!